Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wrap me up and call me Calm!

Tyler moving his way across the couch.




I am sure that many of you have seen this image before. With your own child or someone you know. This in the past has been very typical of Tyler. He has always had a virtual inability to sit still. No matter how much he may want to. Not even to sit and watch something that he enjoys. Not even a 30 minute show let alone a whole movie or sporting event.


Aside from just moving around... Tyler; fidgets, wiggles, rocks, picks at his fingers and toes, talks constantly, Who is that?, Why did they do that?, What's going on?..climbing on/over people.

Tyler laying across his sister.

I wanted to give the weighted products a whirl. I had heard many "miracle" stories. I was envious. I wanted my own miracle story. I wanted it to be that easy. Anyone whom has ever looked into any Autism related goods knows that nothing is cheap. So I dragged my feet on the thought "That's a lot of money for just a maybe". But then I was finally struck by another thought that broke my hang up "I spent $80 for an 9 year old to have a watch that would show him when his heart rate was rising so he could SEE when he was getting upset/too excited. An $80 watch that he broke in an attempt to make it SHUT UP because it beeped every time he accidentally touched the sensor pad." That had been a maybe kind of move...hadn't it? If I could gamble on a watch then I could take a gamble on a blanket.

Expected miracle.


So I bit the bullet. I began looking for what I deemed to be "reasonably priced" on top of a pattern that Tyler would willingly use no matter who was around (the goal here is to have something to help him in class at his desk). I found someone who had a product that fit this bill. Did some price converting (they were from over seas) factored in shipping....I was willing still....but...I got hung up. To do it? Don't do it? I then found someone who fit the above bill and without the conversion and over seas shipping the cost was half. SOLD! I wanted this miracle SO bad. I was picturing all the things that no medicine had ever been able to give him. I wanted him to have peace. I wanted him to be able to sit back and enjoy watching something. For crying out loud the poor kid can't even sit still to play a video game. I guess you could say I wanted some hope for him. I find it so disheartening when teachers complain to me about how he's disturbing the class with all of his moving around and wandering. Plus the talking. I always wonder how much better could his grades be if he could actually sit in his seat and listen to his teacher...I was desperate to have a miracle story of my own.

Tyler getting in some quick computer time before baseball.

We had a late baseball game after school the day that the lap pad came in. Tyler immediately loved it. We have now had it for almost a week and he still says every time he puts it on how amazingly good it feels. He laid in the middle of the living room floor and played on his lap top with the lap pad across his back legs. He kicked his legs around, but otherwise he was pretty still. Not quite the miracle I had been wanting. Not that instantaneous effect I had been so desperately wanting. 

*Yawn*

After the game Tyler got showered and we took a few minutes to study some states and capitals before bed. He sat with the pad in his lap. Still absolutely over the moon excited about it. He messed around. Moved around. He finally laid down and put it across his chest and began to yawn (shown above). It was past his bed time. We called it a night, and he went upstairs to bed with his new "pal" in tow.

Sleepy time!

Tyler now sleeps every night with this lap pad draped over him. He tells me, "It feels soooooo goood!". The excitement finally has died away I think about the new addition. His sister spent the night with a friend so we got a Red Box movie. Tyler sat between mom and dad through the whole thing. This week we had lots of baseball games with just one day in between. So we had to pause the movie a couple of time to switch the laundry over or to get it out. Just in case mom and dad were not noticing how awesomely still he had been sitting and quietly he would take these pauses to point it out for us. Since he has been sleeping with it upstairs it hasn't been downstairs much. Last night he came and sat between us again and he was his usual mess of a self. Fidgeting. Picking at his toes. Wiggling around. I finally said, "Tyler why don't you go get your lap pad". He ran off and got it. When he came back and sat down with us....he didn't move. 


I got my miracle story. I got the hope I desperately wanted. Now through out the summer I have to get another lap pad for him to take to school. An actual blanket for him to sleep with. Tyler even requested that I buy one to give to my ex-husband so that when he stays the night over there he won't have to be afraid. 


If you are in the market for your own miracle I highly recommend Jennifer from A Positive Sensory Products. She not only fit my bill of "reasonably priced"and good selection of style, she also made the whole experience personal. I never once felt like myself or my son was just a quick sale to some chick who didn't nor would ever care about our needs. You can find her on facebook either by searching for "A Positive Sensory Products" or find her on Tyler's page.

1 comment:

  1. See if they have a compression vest. and sometimes, your insurance may cover it. Worth asking.

    ReplyDelete