Monday, December 10, 2012

Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays, and what it means to have Hope.

This weekend I was cleaning up my room and had some online Christmas radio station playing. Suddenly, I really got to thinking about something that get's me every time. This is kind of a combination piece. I think it adds on to the point I was trying to make in a recent post about using the "I'm disabled" card as an excuse to be mean to people. For me, it is never ok for ANYONE to call other people names, belittle their opinions or views... To me, there are people out there that just have far too much time on their hands.

I think this is particularly true over religion, and the never ending battle over "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holiday's".

I know people who do not consider themselves religious in any way, I know some who call themselves atheist, I also know many people of various other religions. I live in an area that seems to be highly populated by Jewish families. I've had Jewish neighbors, I know Jewish families through school, and both of my children have Jewish friends. I always tell my Jewish friends Merry Christmas. I am Christian, why would I not? Does them being of a none Christian faith mean I cannot offer them a word of good will?

I likewise have non faith and atheist friends. Most of which are just happy as pie for you and yours and are not the source of what I am about to say. However, I do know, and have known others who go far beyond just not believing in religion for themselves, but those who seek to destroy it for all. Especially at Christmas time. 

Why? Why would you do such a thing? How much hate do you have to have in your heart to want to strip others of their hopes? Nothing in this world is perfect, and for whatever reason you hold in your heart for choosing not to believe....why must you name call, belittle, and tear down your neighbor?

While cleaning and muddling through my thoughts on this matter I turned to Firefly. If you have never watched this show, you should. I thought upon the episode where River was being looked after by Shepard. River, not being able to make sense out of his Bible began to rip out the pages that she deemed to be impossible. She told Shepard that she was fixing it for him, to which he told her...you do not fix the Bible, it fixes you. He informed her it was about having FAITH, it didn't have to all make sense, it was about BELIEVING. Later, after reviewing her work, she brought it back to Shepard and told him that after she tore the pages from his symbol they turned to paper.

To me, this scene speaks volumes. It's not about right or wrong. It's not about humanly possible or not. It's about HOPE. Having something to believe in is a powerful thing. No matter what it is. (When I recently told Tyler that I didn't know about buying him a certain something for Christmas he told me, "You don't have to buy it for me, Santa will give it to me...because I believe!") Hope is what keeps people trucking a long. What makes them get up to fight another day. 

Instead of bickering over who is right or wrong, that logically it couldn't really be Jesus' birthday, what's the politically correct term to use....let's just offer each other a word or two of good will. In what ever manner means something to you. Whatever gives you HOPE. Whatever brings the warm fuzzies to your heart. 


Christmas in the hospital, 1997.


Fifteen years ago, I was spending my Christmas in a hospital bed with what filled me with HOPE. So much so, she was thus named. I have Hope with me every day. Although, I didn't know how long I was going to live and where life was going to take me....I had Hope. 

Upon finding out that I was expecting (what would have seemed like an uhoh teen pregnancy), I also found out I had cancer. I found out that it was grave. Both times I was pregnant the status of my cancer was severe enough that my life and theirs was in danger. My first visit to the doctor during my pregnancy with Tyler I was told that there was just no way my body could ever deal with a third child. Tyler would be the end of the line. After finally winning my battle against cancer, my marriage ended, and I was in a car accident that nearly took my life. 

HOPE is a powerful thing.  

I could not imagine getting through that time in my life without hope. So, I likewise cannot imagine why there are people out there who want to take that away from others. Christmas is a big time of year for me. Once upon a time, it was a time of uncertainty. Life has come full circle, and I have even more hope, faith, and good will to offer to all.

So whether you are Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Pagan, Atheist, or .....

                MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment