Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The verdict is in. Tyler suffers from autism.

It's almost a certainty if I receive a phone call from a specific area code that it is going to be the school district. There is one specific number that I know right off the bat to be the automated message number. Although I did get thrown off once and it was actually a person. Today I received a call from the automated message line informing me that a person I was friendly with and had a lot of doings with outside of the elementary school had randomly died the night before.

So when the second call came in from a separate number but same area code, I paused. I sat and looked at the number across my screen and debated as to whether or not I wanted to answer it. I sighed and bit the bullet.

It was the schools Speech Pathologist calling me in response to my call last Friday to the school Counselor. On one hand this would seem odd if it wasn't for the previous call. I imagine they have their hands full up there. They are offering grief counseling.

She asked me what it was specifically that I wanted. I told her just what I had said in my voicemail. I want a new meeting. Changes need to be made. But...You're not due til February. So? There's a problem NOW. Yeah...but I just don't know if we can squeeze in a meeting before Christmas...we are SO busy. Is there something we can do, maybe working with the teachers to help?

Well, the teachers are doing great as far as that goes. They're trying. The problem is... My IEP meeting was rushed through so that they could get back to the previous IEP that had been going on HOURS before mine and they still weren't done with it yet. So, now I have an IEP with holes in it. And, on top of that, this year there are so many things going on that Tyler had never faced before so no one knew there'd be a problem.

S.P. - What's the problem?

Me - For starters: His handwriting. It's terrible. Most of the time you can't read it. There are times HE can't even read it. I've talked to his teacher about this. We're all in agreeance. It's bad. Teacher says at this age his handwriting is solidified. But he gets marks on his papers for being sloppy, he loses points for not being neat...something needs to be done. 

S.P. - Ok. I'll talk to the OT people and see if we can get something going or see if he has to first be evaluated for a problem in this area before they can help him.

Me - Then: There's the whole issue of him getting lost in the classroom. Sure, they go over stuff in class but when it comes to processing it after the fact and that many of the things they are doing have longggg deadlines...he becomes confused. Somewhere between home and turning in the work he loses it. He does parts of an assignment, and forgets the others.

S.P. - Doesn't he have a resource teacher? They are usually the ones who help those with autism learn these kind of skills (time management/organization).

Me - Don't think so. Like I said. They hurried my meeting. Although they did bring in someone to touch base with us during the meeting in the event that they decided Tyler needed to go see that person.

S.P. - Ok, it sounds like to me that he's having trouble with a lot of things that are just common for those on the autism spectrum. He should be seeing the OT and Resource teachers. I will make a note of this here and see what I can get started and then if we can't squeeze a meeting in before Christmas maybe we could do the first week in January when we come back.

Me - That'll do. It just needs to get done sooner than February. He's struggling, and that's unacceptable.

S.P. - Are they using a check list with him in class?

Me - Not that I'm aware of. You mean, like in past years where he had a schedule and he checked things off throughout the day as he accomplished them?

S.P. - Yes.

Me - As far as I know...no.

S.P. - Did they help?

Me - I have schedules taped on my walls. Constant reminders of what he's suppose to be doing. Stuff he doesn't get at school. In the past, when he did these things in school, as far as I am aware it did help. It helped him stay on task and they said it helped make him more accountable for himself.

S.P. - Ok. We'll see about getting him a new one. Anything else?

Me - Well...What are YOU doing with him? Last year she took him 3-4 days a week (deliberately stated because she only takes him twice a week) and worked on socialization and volume control. He made great occasional progress. Now...? Not so much. Just Friday he got written up for being too loud in the hallway.

S.P. - Ohhh, so he's been having trouble recently. Well, I am glad you told me about that. I will work with him on implementing what we learn in class to other areas. *talks about how in the group she takes him with for socialization he does very well in and is very helpful to the other people whom struggle more than he does*

Me - Well, socially this year he has done much better than what he has in past years at this point. However, he does still struggle out on the playground with "equal" peers. Tyler has always been really good with  people who are at a lower level than him (hence why he plays with 5 year olds after school on the playground). You put him out there at recess playing football with the other kids and he tries to commandeer the game and they don't take kindly to it.

S.P. - That's a good point. I will try to start pulling him sometimes with groups of other people so he can work on applying the skills in different settings. He is definitely at the point (referring to the amount of time he has been in the speech program) that he needs to start learning to apply the skills he does in my classroom to other settings.

Me - Just so you know we have been working on understanding "personal space" at home.

S.P. - If Tyler cannot explain to you I could send home a packet of what we have been working on. It was designed for those with autism. We are learning about expected and unexpected. *brief run down that I don't quite recall (something about expected (acceptable) behavior and unexpected behavior that makes others uncomfortable)*

Me - *explains how Tyler sucks at explaining*


S.P. - Will work on that. 

*Giggling over Tyler being super excited about getting an eraser from her the other day*

S.P. - Ok, let me talk to the other teachers and I will get back to you just as soon as I have heard back from everyone and we will start getting this taken care of.

Me - Deal!


In short? NEWS FLASH! Tyler has autism and doesn't have all the services he should have. Time to fix that. By all means S.P. lady...tell the freaking principal WTH autism is. Tell her what's COMMON autism struggles.

*sighs* Two more weeks till vacation time. I can make it. Tyler can make it. 

WE CAN MAKE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment