Monday, June 11, 2012

Home of the Free


Things are about to get touchy....

Right off the bat let me say that I am typically about the least political person there is. Largely I don't even view what I am about to say as being political. To me it's about what makes sense to me. What I think is "common sense". What I think is "doing the right thing". However, I do recognize that there is a huge political slant to this. This blog post is not my usual thing, but it does come at a request. Who am I to deny? So...love it. Hate it. Whatever. This is my dime and my feelings.

So this whole thing started on Mama's page. Mama shared a link to a story and asked what everyone thought about it. Summation = KKK wants to adopt a highway. Is this a PR move? No doubt! These types of moves can be found all over the news. Famous people, want to be famous people, people/companies needing back into the light, "accidentally" slipped sex tapes... The list of PR moves is huge and the list of names is just as big. Do I care if the KKK adopts a highway? No. Someone has to clean up the mess that people will continue to throw out their windows as they drive. It may be an PR move, but they are going to have to suffer and endure their way through it.

But is it really?


Here is my issue. It's the biggest catch for me in virtually everything. It really comes down to hypocrisy. People are always shouting about freedom of speech. Freedom of this and that. You're imposing their rights. You're suppressing them. They want the right to do such and such. On the other hand those same people scream...OH MY GOSH! You can't have the right to say that. You can't have the right to do that. I don't want to hear/see/know anything about you having the right to... o.O Really people? You scream about freedom and equality, but then you complain about others having it too? Who cares what someone else has? Who cares what someone else is doing? WHY care?!

It doesn't even stop at your way of life. It's not just about the people who are offended about people believing in God. It's not just about your civil rights. To tell people what they are allowed to do in such matters is to say that someone else can tell you how to live your life. How you are allowed to feel about things. How would you like it if someone told you that you couldn't be mad at someone who hurt your feelings? How would you like it if someone told you that your opinion was being thrown out because it wasn't favorable?


Who is weighing the scales?

So who gets to be the judge here? Someone has to right? The problem here is...everyone is different. So, you think the KKK is crazy and you don't like how they feel. You disagree with their view points on life and their overall message. Wonderful. Problem? They happen to think the exact same thing about you. This is not just limited to the KKK. The same could be said about anyone in ANY setting. There is ALWAYS a counter. The religious vs the atheists. The republicans vs the democrats. The anti vax vs the vax. Pro life vs pro choice.

You cannot change someones heart with negativity. The only chance that there is, is by example. When people look at you, do they see happiness? Do they see joy? Love? Kindness? Forgiveness? You can't beat hate with hate. Live and let live folks. When criminal acts take place there are laws that answer those crimes. Otherwise...just let it go. It will not make you happier to think angry/negative thoughts about those who you disagree with. It doesn't help you or them. It actually brings you to their side.

Otherwise, censor everyone...including yourself.



No one is saying to agree with everyone or everything. Just to come to a broader understanding. That no one person is more than another. Isn't that the point we drive home every day here in the special needs community? Really think about that message. Expand on it. Include more people. We are in no place to tell others how to live their lives. You would not be so willing to accept those telling you that you were living your life wrong. Let's look a little more on the inside. Worry about doing our best. Spreading love. Living our message of equality. No matter how different a person may be.

2 comments:

  1. I had hoped the message was somewhere in there. Heh, I was tired, but couldn't pause it for morning. Things kept coming to mind while I was typing something or re-reading something and I would be like oooo that's good. I'd finish up what I was doing and then think uummm what was good? There wasn't much in that pint of ice cream I stole. So, I'll blame that for the "good" thoughts that kept dodging me. :P

    ReplyDelete