Monday, October 22, 2012

Mommy needs a time out corner!

Looking for my happy place.


I've said it before. I am really glad that my husband is a different kind of autism from Tyler and I. Tyler and I have the market covered on freaking out. We get over stimulated easily. AND can freak out of seemingly nowhere. My husband is three degrees of cool and calm virtually all the time. Granted, he is constantly self regulating himself with stims. Aside from that though, he just isn't that kind of autistic.

So, this weekend.... I don't really have any complaints about anything, but does that always mean anything? Sadly not. Sooo...this weekend. Friday night we had a baseball game with Tyler and at the exact same time Hope was traveling with the band to an away football game (but the game wasn't that far away). We went to the baseball game. Grandparents went to the football game. After band party? HA! Blonde Eyes fell asleep on the bus on the way back to the band hall. Clearly we all need some sleep.

Saturday morning grandpa calls and asks if we wanna go have breakfast with them. Ok, sure. Who the heck turns down a free meal? While at breakfast Tyler starts pandering for a new pair of boots BECAUSEEEE it's red ribbon week and you're suppose to wear boots on Wednesday to stomp out drugs. Zombie Blonde Eyes decides she's gonna come back home and veg. The Ex decided he'd come take Tyler to dinner and then watch his game so he picked him up from the grandparents that evening.

*insert dinner with the grandparents, because I couldn't answer the "what's for dinner question" thrown at me by the husband.

We get to the game on Saturday afternoon, and the husband goes with Tyler to start warming up. Now, Tyler has been shuffled around a bit today. I will give everyone the benefit of the doubt that nothing major happened while they had him. We'll chalk most of what happens next to transitioning issues. My husband is one of the coaches. Tyler is a possible pitcher for the night, but it wouldn't be until late in the game. While warming up he wants Tyler to throw him a couple of pitches to see where he's at. Tyler begins freaking out.

Apparently we were suppose to know that before we got there that he had thrown the ball a little bit with the Ex and that on top of that he hurt himself while doing it. So, he didn't want to throw anymore BUTTT he'd be just fine to pitch in the game. Never mind all the huffing and puffing. I'm sure that would have NO ill effects on his pitching. Also, somewhere in the warm up someone hit him with a ball and he didn't approve. 

Then insert a lot of harassing the other coach about pitching RIGHT now. Forget the other 2 kids who didn't get to pitch last night. Let's forget about playing our base, and harass the coaches about pulling the pitcher so I can pitch....Fine, if I can't pitch I'm just gonna not even watch my base. More huffing and puffing. GAH!

It was at least on and off. He'd pull himself together and play......then he'd remember that oh yeah he wants to be pitching. Kind of funny actually since he had recently proclaimed that he'd rather catch than pitch. But ok...whatever. We got through it.

Sunday. Sunday, is almost always chore day around here. Life is just that busy these days. Who likes chores? Not Tyler...He dragged his feet. Argued. He's doing it. What else is left to do? I don't know...how about you pick up that stuff at your feet?! A bit like pulling teeth, but we got through that too. Then I wrote a quick grocery list. Tyler is always the keeper of the list, but on the way to the store dad asked to see the list for a moment. Tyler began flipping out and refused to hand over the list. Tyler was returned home. We have a talk about being so argumentative (amongst what passes for a meltdown these days).  

Finally get almost everything done. The only thing that didn't get done that I had wanted to get to was mopping the floors. I decided whatever, it can wait. I began baking cookies with the teenager. Tyler catches eye of this and starts freaking out all over again. HE wants to bake the cookies. Tyler, this is a girl thing. This is us having us time. No. No. No. Tyler, next time just you and I will bake cookies. No. No. No.

GAHHHHHH!!!! Ok. That's it. Everyone needs to hush. I.Just.Can't.Take.Anymore. Does anyone listen? Heck no! GAHHHH!!!!

So there is this spot in my room where I have been trying to figure out what to do with it ever since we first looked at the place before moving in. At this point I am pretty jealous of Mama and her chair. I want my own chair. I want my own space where I can go hide from everyone that doesn't mean that I have to go to bed. I need a place to decompress away from everyone. A place where everyone knows not to go, not to intrude, not to speak in.

Mommy needs a time out corner!

Items needed:
-Time out chair (Something like this)
-Side table (Something like this)
-Ear defenders (Something like these)
-Blanket (Something like this one)

Oooo, and then I could hang the picture I bought at Oktoberfest last year of the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Ahh, something to fantasize over.

No comments:

Post a Comment