Friday, January 18, 2013

ASD and Video Games

So, first thing this morning Mama sent me a message:

This school. they send an e-mail it says in the subject line "Internet Gaming- Night for

Parents".... then it's an invitation to discuss the danger of students being online.


I must say. This got my panties in all sorts of a bunch. I have a really strong stance on video
games. Anti video game propaganda really ticks me off. There is no "proof" or "science"
behind anything that the say. It's all fear mongering. And who doesn't hate fear mongering?



I've talked before about the science behind why video games are actually GOOD before. I
I touched on the why video games are so needed in the ASD community. I re-read that post
this morning. Let me go over some points I didn't mention in that past post. Let me try to dig a little deeper.


Social:

As an adult I can say that face to face contact with more than a couple of people whom are
KNOWN to me is very hard. I feel all cringy inside. I'm never quite sure what to say. I
ponder multiple different replies and try to pick the best one. I will talk the least of the
group. Sometimes I feel like I have something to say about what they are talking about
but I won't say anything because I don't know when is the right time to step in. Everyone
gets all jabbery and I just nod my head unless they actually turn and look at me and ask me
something directly.



I use to work. I got up in the morning, got my kids off to school, and I worked. When the day was done I would collect my kids, go home, and once that door was closed the outside world no longer existed to me. Where was I going to meet people? How would I ever form
relationships with anyone? It didn't look very promising.


I met my husband, whom was living the same kind of life I was (minus the kids part), playing an online video game. We became super good friends and played all the time together. While other people might be having themselves a drink, going out, doing I don't even know what, we were both sitting safely at home socializing in the way that is the most comfortable to us.


Brain Power:

Whether the game is being played on a computer or a console such as the Xbox 360, Wii, or
Play Station, the amount of hand eye coordination needed to complete tasks inside a video
game are pretty impressive. Just to perform most jumps you have to have exact timing
and certain games have different mechanics (do you lightly single jump? are you suppose to
double jump?) Jumping often is really stinking hard, and I'm known for....lacking in that
department.


You have to have problem solving skills. Not even just a little bit of it either. You need a LOT of problem solving skills. If you don't have them, you're going to have to create them. This is a mandatory requirement of ALL games. No matter the style. No matter the objective. You will HAVE to be able to figure out how to do things, where to go, what is needed, and any given number of unknown factors.


Also, if it is a multiplayer game they will have to develop some high powered team skills.
Each player has to have an understanding as to what their character is suppose to be
providing for the group, and how to work with the other members to accomplish a goal. If it
is a combat style game it would be rather hard to slay a dragon if the person responsible for
healing the teammates doesn't...heal. Some puzzle games require multiple people to complete different tasks at the same time in different areas in order (let's say) for the door to open.


Any game. Any style. Remember? By it's nature the game Angry Birds is a puzzle game. Did
you know that? At the beginning of each level it tells you you have X amount of birds, BUT to actually be able to complete the level will all stars you have to clear it only using Y amount of birds AND you have to complete all objectives (knocking things over, getting the pigs..). You have to stop and think about how you're going to do that. You have to try things, and start over to retry other things. You have to take what you learned from one puzzle on to the next puzzle.


Physical:

We all want our kids to get some physical activity. Most kids don't get outside much. This has been a whole different subject. Most kids don't get the outside time primarily because no one feels like they can trust the outside world anymore. Throw in the fact our community here is a community of special needs kids who most have trouble making good and or SAFE decisions and then they really aren't going to be going outside anyways.



With today's video games they can get all kinds of physical activities within the safety of your home. MANY games these days use your body. You can't even sit on your butt and play video games anymore just about. Like a week ago a downloaded a trial of the Xbox game Kinectimals. HOLY COW! Cute little game about having cute little exotic animals for pets? hahahaha...yeah, no. That game tried to kill me. I'm not a spring chicken anymore, ya know? I had to run with my animals, I had to jump with him, I had to spin in circles... Just a real "Monkey see, monkey do" kind of deal. If that doesn't get your heart pumping. I don't know what will...


Bottom Line:

I'm not saying let's do 24/7 video games. I'm not saying use video games to replace
everything in your kids life. What I am saying is that video games aren't evil, and you
shouldn't ask yourself "How do I get my kid to stop playing video games?" Your kids are
learning, they are growing, and they are communicating in the least stressful way to them.
(PLEASE go back to the top and click on the link to the previous post about video games. I
talked a lot about the communication part in that post.)


Monitor the types of games you buy. If you aren't up to speed on games, ask someone who
is. Have healthy rules. The option for video game play is part of our daily schedule. If you
want to play video games you can do it during this time frame. A constant rule we have is
that when you are told to get off, it's right then, with no problems, or next time it's no game.
We will accept a moment of "finishing" whatever is currently being done and a save. Sooo,
you have about a minute.


Your child can build life long REAL relationships with people through video games. Aside
from my husband I have met and maintain several other friendships with people I have
"met" in the same manner.


Like many things in life: Video games are neither good or bad. It's how they're used that determines that.

No comments:

Post a Comment