Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I'm a Pod surrounded by People...

As parents we so often proclaim the desire to be around other real live grown ups. To talk about something other than Blue's latest clue or what Dora has been exploring. We crave to be around our own peers. We long for just an hour or two of no kids....

Yeah, not me. Not so much.

This past weekend I spent an entire day around mostly teenagers. Yeah, I don't like them either. It's a group of overall good kids, but the fact that they act in a way that I am most certain they wouldn't dare act in front of their parents yet do it in front of me is off putting. I'm actually a bit of a push over with my kids. I let them do things that other parents wouldn't let their kids do. My kids know there is a line though and that those things aren't always appropriate. 

Like: This weekend while I was teasing Hope she chunked her wallet at me. Someone said OMG, I would be in so much trouble if I did that. *shrugs* We were playing, and she hit me in the arm. You're mad, throw something at me, and hit me in the face....? I will kill you.

These kids cuss. A lot. Very openly, and loudly. I find that to be more as a fault on the teacher for allowing it. I understand that kids are kids and will say things around friends that they wouldn't say around their parents, but uhhh...I am a parent. Watch your mouth, and please stop humping the air. o.O

Then it was topped off with grownups. Not just any grownups though. STRANGERS. A whole day around strange adults and no social crutch (my husband). I find adults to be like discovering a new species of creature that is both fascinating and repulsive. I sit back and watch them interact with one another.

That's a stupid behavior.

That's a stupid behavior.

Look at that posturing.

Look at the social conformity taking place.

Is that really necessary?

Well, that's a really stupid behavior.

I try to advert my gaze so I'm not staring and hopefully they do not mistake my watching as a desire to be involved. I constantly pick my demon throughout the day. I follow the teenagers and leave the grownups to linger around and have that adult time. Without me.

At the end of the trip one mom hugged the other mom while saying the whole "nice to meet you" bit. I thought, Oh gawd...she's a hugger. PLEASE don't touch me. I was relieved when I discovered that apparently she at least isn't an indiscriminate hugger, and I had failed to make a hug worthy connection with her.

Do not get me wrong. All these people were nice people, and I have no complaints about any of them. Nevertheless, watching them interact with one another is still very bizarre for me, and I have no desire to make any connections with them. 

It actually reminds me of a Seinfeld episode that was on last night. Jerry is trying to explain something to Kramer, and well Kramer is NOTHING like any of his friends. Jerry tells him, you see you wouldn't understand, because...you're a Pod. Being around people, especially people I don't know, makes me feel like a Pod.

I do manage around people much better online though. Which would account for me being able to socialize and maintain hundreds of people on facebook. 


After this weekend my husband says I need to wear this shirt to all the events I have to go to. If you would like one you can buy it from http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/c9ba/

No comments:

Post a Comment